Fix QuickBooks Error 179 – Reasons & Symptoms
Welcome to our blog, where we tackle QuickBooks Error 179, a common issue hindering small business operations. We reveal causes, symptoms, and effective solutions with a detailed approach. By following our guidance, you’ll conquer this error, streamline accounting, and improve financial management. Stay with us as we explore the steps to regain control over your books and restore business efficiency. Let’s empower your QuickBooks experience and eliminate error 179 from your financial program. But first, let’s know about the error in detail.
What does QuickBooks Error Code 179 Means?
QuickBooks Error 179 is an accounting software glitch that occurs when users attempt to access their financial data, resulting in a failure to connect with the bank server. Moreover, this error impedes data synchronization, disrupts financial management, and hinders overall business performance. QB error 179 can occur due to the reasons mentioned below:
- Incorrect login credentials were entered during bank server access.
- Damaged company files or corrupted data obstruct proper synchronization, causing the error.
- Discrepancies in financial reports, such as duplicate transactions, trigger this error.
- Multiple devices accessing the same bank account simultaneously can generate QuickBooks Error 179.
- Outdated QuickBooks software versions may fail to connect with the bank server, creating errors.
- Insufficient permissions for the logged-in user can restrict bank server access, resulting in error 179.
- An improper set-up bank connection within QuickBooks contributes to the occurrence of this error.
- Incorrect configuration of firewall settings might block QuickBooks from connecting to the bank server.
- The presence of third-party applications interfering with QuickBooks’ functionality can generate error 179.
- Unresolved issues within the bank’s system may lead to Error 179 QuickBooks Desktop during data synchronization.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error 179
When the QuickBooks error code 179 occurs, you can encounter the following which are symptoms of the error:
- Inability to connect with the bank server, preventing financial data access and management.
- Frequent error messages are displayed when attempting to update bank feeds within QuickBooks.
- QuickBooks software freezes or crashes during synchronization with the bank server.
- Inconsistencies in financial reports, such as missing or duplicate transactions, become noticeable.
- Hindered workflow due to interruptions in accessing and managing company financial data.
- Slow performance of the QuickBooks software, affecting overall business productivity.
- Disruption in the reconciliation process leads to inaccuracies in financial data.
After knowing all the causes and symptoms, let’s move to the troubleshooting steps to get rid of the error with the following section.
Solutions to Fix QuickBooks Error 179?
Before heading towards the solutions, you must try the following steps to fix QuickBooks error 179. Maybe you don’t need to follow the solutions; instead, these will fix it. The following prerequisite solutions are:
- Verify your login credentials for the bank account, ensuring accuracy before entering them in QuickBooks.
- Ensure that QuickBooks is updated to the latest version, enabling compatibility with the bank server.
- Confirm your internet connection is stable and functional, facilitating seamless data synchronization.
- Check the user permissions and roles within QuickBooks, granting necessary access to relevant personnel.
- Review firewall settings to allow QuickBooks to connect with the bank server without restrictions.
- Temporarily disable third-party applications that may interfere with QuickBooks functionality during troubleshooting.
- Reconcile financial data, resolving any discrepancies in reports to ensure accurate information.
- Contact the bank to confirm their system is operational and free of issues affecting QuickBooks connectivity.
If you try the above but don’t get the results, then follow the given solutions:
Solution 1: Troubleshoot the Browser Problem
Sometimes, the browser can interrupt the connection, leading to QuickBooks error 179. Following are the steps to fix your browser issue:
Step 1: Clear Browser Cache
An accumulated cache in the browser may interfere with QuickBooks connectivity. Clearing the cache removes outdated or corrupted files that could be causing the error. You can do it with the following.
- Windows/Linux: Use Ctrl + Shift + Del
- macOS: Use Cmd + Shift + Del
- Windows/Linux: Use Ctrl + Shift + Del
- macOS: Use Cmd + Shift + Del
- macOS: Use Cmd + Alt + E (cache only); for cookies, navigate to Preferences > Privacy > Manage Website Data
- iOS: Access Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data (no direct shortcut)
- Windows: Use Ctrl + Shift + Del
- Windows: Use Ctrl + Shift + Del
Step 2: Switch to a Different Browser
Some browsers may have compatibility issues with QuickBooks. Trying an alternate browser can help identify if the problem lies with the browser itself.
Step 3: Use Incognito or Private Browsing Mode
Private browsing modes disable extensions and operate with minimal cache, eliminating potential sources of interference with QuickBooks.
Step 4: Disable Browser Extensions
Certain browser extensions may conflict with QuickBooks functionality. Disabling them temporarily can help ascertain if an extension is causing the error.
Step 5: Reset Browser Settings
Resetting browser settings restores default configurations, potentially resolving any conflicts or misconfigurations causing QuickBooks Error 179.
Step 6: Update Browser Version
An outdated browser may lack the features necessary for seamless QuickBooks connectivity. Updating to the latest version ensures compatibility and optimal performance.
Step 7: Check Browser Security Settings
Overly restrictive security settings can hinder QuickBooks’ connection with the bank server. Review and adjust settings accordingly to allow proper synchronization.
Solution 2: Repair Windows Registry
Go with the following steps to repair the Windows registry:
- Press the Windows key + R, input “regedit” into the Run dialog, and press Enter.
- Within the Registry Editor, identify the key linked to QuickBooks Error 179.
- Right-click the key, select “Export,” and save to create a backup.
- Modify the troublesome key’s value or information as needed.
- Once changes are made, click “File” > “Exit” to close the Registry Editor.
- Reboot your computer to apply the changes.our computer for changes to take effect.
Note: Manually editing the Windows registry can be risky and may cause irreversible damage to your system if done incorrectly. It’s recommended to create a backup and consult an expert before proceeding.
Solution 3: Update Bank in QuickBooks
Updating your bank account in QuickBooks is essential for fixing Error 179, which typically occurs when there’s a discrepancy between your bank’s records and QuickBooks. Now, follow the given steps to update the bank in QuickBooks:
- Open QuickBooks and log in using your valid account credentials.
- Select “Banking” from the left-hand menu to view your linked bank accounts.
- Locate the bank account experiencing Error 179 and click on it.
- Click the “Update” button on the banking screen’s top-right corner.
- Enter your bank login details in the pop-up window and click “Update” again.
- Allow the update process to finish; this may take a few minutes.
- Once completed, verify if Error 179 is resolved by checking your bank transactions.
Solution 4: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
Using QuickBooks Desktop File Doctor helps fix QuickBooks error 179 by diagnosing and repairing issues within your company file. This tool effectively identifies discrepancies and errors, ensuring your company file is in good condition. The following are the steps:
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub from the official Intuit website and install it on your computer.
- Open the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Select the “Company File Issues” tab.
- Click “Run QuickBooks File Doctor” to initiate the tool.
- Browse your company file experiencing Error 179 and select it.
- Choose “Check your file” and click “Continue.”
- Enter your QuickBooks admin credentials and click “Next” to start the repair process.
- Wait for the File Doctor to complete the scan and repair; this may take several minutes.
- Once finished, open QuickBooks and verify if Error 179 is resolved by accessing your bank transactions.
Steps to not Getting Quickbooks Error 179 in the Future
These types of errors can occur in the future, so remember the following given steps and eliminate the chances of encountering the same again:
- Regularly reconcile your bank accounts in QuickBooks to maintain accurate financial records and minimize discrepancies.
- Always use the correct login credentials when connecting to your bank and update them promptly if they change.
- Periodically review and clear any transaction errors in QuickBooks to prevent issues from accumulating.
- Maintain your company file by optimizing and condensing it when needed, ensuring efficient performance and data accuracy.
- Keep your QuickBooks software up to date with the latest releases and patches to prevent potential bugs and errors.
With the help of this blog, we provide effective solutions to fix QuickBooks error 179. We also provide the causes and symptoms to get better information about the error. Also, going with the additional steps can prevent you from getting it in the future. However, if error 179 continues or you still can’t connect to the bank, then you can contact our ProAdvisors to get help resolving the error. Thank You!
Q: Can QuickBooks Error 179 affect multiple users within the same organization?
A: Yes, the error can impact multiple users if they share the same bank account within QuickBooks or have similar issues.
Q: Does QuickBooks Error 179 occur only in specific QuickBooks versions or editions?
A: No, the error can arise in various QuickBooks versions and editions, primarily resulting from issues with bank connectivity and data discrepancies.
Q: Is it possible to continue working with QuickBooks while facing Error 179?
A: While some tasks may still be possible, error 179 hinders bank server connectivity and reconciliation, which can severely disrupt financial management.
Q: How often should I update my QuickBooks software to minimize errors like Error 179?
A: It’s recommended to update QuickBooks regularly, ideally every time a new update is released, to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.
Q: If I cannot resolve QuickBooks Error 179 on my own, what’s the best course of action?
A: If you’re unable to fix the error yourself, consider contacting QuickBooks support, an IT professional, or a QuickBooks ProAdvisor for expert assistance.